The best caramels you'll ever taste
1 cup (2 sticks) butter
1 cup brown sugar
1 can (14 oz) sweetened condensed milk
1 cup white corn syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla
- Microwave butter in large glass bowl until melted
- Add brown sugar, condensed milk, and corn syrup and stir until
- Microwave on high for about 8 minutes and then stir
- Continue microwaving until temperature reaches "soft ball"
stage (235 - 240 degrees F)
- Remove from microwave and stir in vanilla
- Pour caramel into buttered 9" x 13" pan and allow to cool
- After caramel has cooled, cut into 3" x 1/2" strips and wrap in
It takes about 17 minutes to make these caramels in my microwave. Your microwave will take more or less time depending on its power. The first few times you make these, be sure to check the temperature regularly to prevent over-cooking.